Seasoning downloads its own copy of product, variant and order data from your store so that it can analyse the data.
Seasoning will download the latest data for your products, variants, tags and orders at the following times:
- Automatically every day.
- When you click the “Refresh Data" Button on the Seasons page.
NB. The date and time of last data import are shown on the Seasons page.
- Importing data may take a few minutes - as a rule of thumb the more products and orders you have on your store the longer the import will take.
- The initial import will take longer since all of the data needs to be imported.
- Subsequent imports will be quicker since only the data which has changed since the last import will be imported.
- Shopify supports both createdAt and processedAt dates for orders - see the order API.
- The createdAt date represents the date when an order is created and will be populated for orders created in Shopify.
- The processedAt date represents the date when an order was processed and is commonly used when importing data into Shopify from elsewhere.
- If the processedAt date is populated for an order this will be used instead of createdAt - this means that imported orders will have an accurate date.
Shopify doesn't offer a way to download the amount of inventory held for each product and variant for days in the past. See this Shopify Community article for more information.
After installation Seasoning will download the inventory levels for products and variants for each day going forward. However it will not know what the stock levels were for days in the past.
For seasons which start prior to the date when Seasoning was installed for your store we’ll do the following:
- Use the current inventory value for the product.
- Provide a warning that the inventory variable may be unreliable.
Under the following circumstances using the current inventory value can be reliable:
- There has only been a single delivery of stock for a product.
- A product has not been sold across multiple seasons.
As you use Seasoning over time a lack of historical inventory values will become less of an issue since the inventory values will be automatically downloaded every day.
Possible future feature
In the future we’re thinking of adding the ability to import historical inventory values directly into Seasoning. For this to work you’d need to be able to provide us with a history of stock received for a product.
If you’re interested in setting up your historical seasons based on data that you have for historical stock levels please get in touch - we may well be able to assist with a manual data import.